My Thoughts at 6 Months Post

Congratulations to me for reaching the six months mark into my transition. Honestly, I don't miss relaxers at all and I'...




Congratulations to me for reaching the six months mark into my transition. Honestly, I don't miss relaxers at all and I'm enjoying the new thicker hair that is growing in. In this post, I'm going to share with you my thoughts at this point in my journey along with what I've learned so far:

My thoughts:

  • I'm slightly worried about how I'm going to wear my hair when its fully natural. I know I want to do things like twist - outs but that's all very good in theory. I'm asking myself questions like 'how much will my hair shrink when I wear it natural?' and 'how often will I have to restyle it?'
  • My wash  process takes much longer now, especially detangling and straightening afterwards. It used to take me half an hour to straighten my hair. It now takes me an hour minimum.
  • I've been so intrigued by my shed hairs because of the amount of curl they have at the roots. Originally, I was alarmed because I thought I was losing more hair. However, I now realise it simply appears that way because more of the hair is textured. 

6 months worth of new growth
What I've learned:
  • Moisturised natural hair feels different to moisturised relaxed hair. I was so used to feeling the straight relaxed hair that I thought my new growth was chronically dry because it didn't feel as smooth. I have since learned that I cannot expect my two textures to behave the same way.
  • Similarly, you can't treat natural hair like your relaxed hair. I can no longer just 'quickly' wash my hair or expect the comb to glide through like it used to.
Hopefully, another six months and my transition will be complete. We'll see! 

Straightened hair 

If you read my post 'Two Hair Cuts in Three Days', you will know that I disliked my last hair cut. Below is a little comparison of my hair 6 weeks ago compared to now. I'm pretty happy to see it's growing out - what do you think?

5 June - 22 July.     6 weeks ago compared to now
Click here to see how I've been keeping motivated on my transition

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Congrats b your now half way through stage one can't wait to see the next results. Don't worry too much about how to wear it you will still look hot and fabulous. Nothing is easy but you will get through it b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thank you Otegz, yeh I really can't wait 'til January to see whether I make my goal or not :) Going to keep updating on my hair every month

    ReplyDelete