Protein please!

If you've been paying any attention in healthy hair school (or the forums), you'll know about the importance of including protei...

Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
If you've been paying any attention in healthy hair school (or the forums), you'll know about the importance of including protein in our regimes. When balanced properly with moisture, protein helps our hair stay strong in order to fight against breakage.

For the last few weeks I've been showering my hair with moisture, spraying it every day with my thirst-quenching S-curl and co-washing regularly. I was loving the effects of super soft and moisturised hair, but recently started to notice dreaded breakage! 

Luckily, I've been monitoring the needs of my hair regularly so I was able to quickly pinpoint when the breakage started and act fast to prevent it further. Instead of the long strands of shed hair I had been getting used to, I was seeing short strands of breakage, which were just a few centimetres in length . 

Coupled with soft, mushy hair I knew I was experiencing a moisture overload! I never understood what 'mushy' hair meant until now because believe it or not, this is the first time I've experienced it on my journey.

Acting quickly, I reached for my bottle of Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, a protein treatment used to fortify the hair. I mixed it with my usual deep conditioner, and after rinsing, I noticed the effects immediately.

My hair felt stronger - and admittedly rougher - but that's what to expect after a dose of protein. To restore the proper protein/moisture balance, I followed with a quick rinse of a moisture conditioner. 

Reunited with strong but soft hair, this experience has taught me to:
1. Always listen to the needs of my hair
2. Incorporate protein into my regime to avoid this situation again, even if it's in small doses.

While my hair was moisture deprived a few weeks ago, it's not any more. I've learned that it's important to frequently re-asses my regime in order to provide to the requirements of my hair at the time.

Have you ever experienced a moisture or protein overload?

How did you know, and how did you combat it?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. You always know what to do!! Well, you're definitely more knowledgeable about hair care than I am, but you're also great and finding solutions to sudden unforeseen problems. Thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you mucho! It comes from years of obsessive research :( And yet I still have so much to learn hehe

      Delete
  2. I have experienced Moisture overload and the product you mentioned is the one I use. I want to try ORS Hair Mayo but it's been hard to find. This post is a great reminder for me to do a protein treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Uzoma, I think I tried the ORS hair Mayo years ago but I really can't remember if I liked it or not. But I do remember that it smelled... funny lol

      Delete
  3. I love protein treatment, I seem to be doing it frequently than moisture. I want to change now and mix both moisture and protein at every wash day.

    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you have the right idea with mixing both treatments every wash day!

      Delete
  4. I have not suffered from moisture overload with this product, but I use it too and I know the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this product can drown your hair lol... Will be more careful next time.

      Delete
  5. Yes I love the Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor! This product is amazing and will always be one of my staple products! I am glad you were able to catch the breakage early!

    http://mrsdoingme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's a great product - and I totally forgot I had it in my cupboard! Thanks for commenting :D

      Delete