Formaldehyde-Free Keratin Treatment Review - K Fusion

As of 7th February 2015, my hair is now keratin treated! My hairdresser uses the K Fusion Smoothing Treatment, which is formaldehyde-fre...

As of 7th February 2015, my hair is now keratin treated!

My hairdresser uses the K Fusion Smoothing Treatment, which is formaldehyde-free.

What is a keratin treatment?

Hair is made up of a protein called keratin. Heat, harsh chemicals and daily manipulation breaks down the protein bonds in the hair, weakening the strand and making it prone to breakage. A keratin treatment works to infuse the protein back into the hair, temporarily filling in weak spots and working to condition, strengthen and smooth the strands.

With this particular treatment, the results last 3-4 months and wash out over time.

How to do a keratin treatment:

  1. My hair was washed and blowdried 90% dry. 
  2. The keratin treatment was applied in small sections and left to air dry for about 45 minutes
  3. The treatment was rinsed out (no shampoo used) and blowdried again. 
  4. Hair was straightened with the flat iron to seal in the treatment 
  5. Avoid getting hair wet, tying it up or using clips for 48 hours
  6. Wash treatment out and style as usual

Does the keratin treatment damage hair? That's a lot of heat!

I had this conversation with my stylist. She explained that the product acts as a protector against heat providing it is applied correctly. You may have also heard the horror stories about using up to 10 passes with the straighteners to seal in the treatment. My hair dresser uses two passes on my hair - she's very concerned with the health of a client's hair and does not use more heat than necessary.

Keratin treatment results

  • My hair was swinging and blinging, it was so shiny and had movement that I've never experienced before
  • It felt really soft and smooth. 
  • It also (temporarily) loosened my curl pattern - noticeable when wet
  • Straightening my hair doesn't take as long 
  • My hair doesn't revert if I get caught in the rain or humid weather.
First day of getting the treatment

Last words:

I'm very happy with this treatment. I'm currently experimenting with wash & gos as my texture is much looser now. Talking with my hairdresser's other clients, many of them raved about their hair never being as long as it is now due to regular keratin treatments. I think I'm going to stick with getting it done every 3 - 4 months. I'm ready to attempt to grow my hair longer as I've been wearing this bob for a couple of years now.

Towel dried hair before the treatment 
Towel dried hair after treatment

You Might Also Like

1 comments