Why Am I Going Natural?

When I decided my last relaxer was my last, my thought process was pretty black and white. I stopped relaxing my hair because I didn...


why am I going natural?
When I decided my last relaxer was my last, my thought process was pretty black and white. I stopped relaxing my hair because I didn't want to relax it anymore. It was that simple - or so I thought. As I get deeper into my transition I've realised I've not just embarked on a physical hair journey, but a mental and emotional one too. I'm beginning to realise that there are several reasons as to why I decided to transition, most of which I wasn't even aware of at the time of my decision. In this post I will share with you the 5 reasons I've so far identified for choosing to go natural.



1. I want to achieve longer, thicker, healthier hair. This was probably my most obvious reason. I had noticed that throughout the six years of relaxing my hair, it slowly got shorter and thinner without ever being cut. Breakage was a daily thing, so much that it became normal. I've seen many Youtubers achieve lovely hair while being relaxed, but I knew my hair was far too fine and just couldn't take all the chemicals.

2. I hated the fact I was relying on a relaxer. Before I relaxed my hair, I remember people telling me 'once you relax, you can't go back'. I became scared of the idea of hitting X age and still relying on the relaxer. Furthermore, I was uncomfortable with the fact I felt anxious to reach 12 weeks post just so that I could get a touch up.

3. Less chemicals. All I know is that I had the option to use less chemicals on my hair and I took it. I know there are chemicals everywhere - all I have to do is look on the back of my favourite conditioner bottle and there is a plethora of unpronounceable ingredients. However, I knew that the relaxer chemicals must be pretty strong if they're going to permanently alter the texture of my hair.

4. I wanted to embrace all of me. I wanted to be reacquainted with the natural texture that I was born with. Knowing that in a few more months I will be able to wear my hair natural gives me a massive boost of confidence. I enjoyed having relaxed hair for those years, but I became unhappy with it. I know I've still got a way to go, but it's weird how liberating it feels knowing those last inches will soon be cut off!

5. Lastly, my natural hair is more versatile. Braids wouldn't stay in my relaxed hair if I bribed them. My relaxed hair is bone straight, limp and lifeless. Heat-styled curls and waves looked silly because there was no life in my hair. With natural hair, I can wear the straightened styles as well as the curly styles. Twist-outs looked beautiful on my hair when I was younger.

Below is a really inspiring short documentary by the British-Nigerian film-maker, Zina Saro-Wiwa. She bravely shaved her head for her video and was confronted with some surprising self-realisations.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Natural is a cool way to go. Million options like you mentioned you can do. January is around the corner keep it up.

    ReplyDelete