To armpit length and beyond!

To infinity (or armpit length - whichever comes first) and beyond! ( Image source ) 2016 is fast approaching which means my first ...

To APL and beyond
To infinity (or armpit length - whichever comes first) and beyond! (Image source)

2016 is fast approaching which means my first year of hair growing is coming to an end! I've successfully achieved shoulder length hair - a milestone I haven't seen for a few years due to maintaining my bob style. But now is where the real challenge begins. I'm hoping to enter a territory I've never experienced before: armpit length (APL) hair.

I've booked in for a BKT and much-needed trim on 12 December. I'm hoping I don't have to have too much snipped off, but I also know that starting the New Year with fresh ends will put me in the best position to retain length.

Considering how much my hair grows in one year, I would expect to reach APL by the end of the 2016. Many of the ladies on Long Hair Care Forum state that it took them about nine months to get from shoulder length to APL. With my giraffe neck and long back, I'd add a few months onto that.


I'm fully aware that getting passed shoulder length is one of the most challenging milestones, so I've devised a regime that I'm going to follow in the hope that it helps me reach my goal.

My length retention regime for the next year:


  • Continue to wear heatless styles in the week, keeping the use of the flat iron to a minimum
  • Air dry or blow dry on cool only  - I blow dry my hair weekly so this rule will eradicate the extra heat from my regime 
  • Start taking biotin pills daily - I have achieved faster growth with biotin in the past
  • Deep condition with hair in six sections - switching from four to six sections has made a big difference!
  • Moisturise nightly and maintain hair porosity levels with apple cider vinegar rinses
  • Continue to have hair keratin treated every 12 weeks or so
Below is my current length. I'll be updating my  length progress pictures every few months so stay tuned!



How long did it take you to go from shoulder length to armpit length? I would love to hear your tips.

You Might Also Like

0 comments