How to Use Oil Treatments for Dry Hair

This is now my second post on dealing with dry hair since I've been back to blogging. My habit for heat tools means the moisture in ...


This is now my second post on dealing with dry hair since I've been back to blogging. My habit for heat tools means the moisture in my strands can quickly be fried away, leaving me with locks that are severely lacking in moisture.

If your hair's feeling parched it's important to first figure out why so that you can deal with the dryness in the right way. You can check out my previous post which highlights some of the reasons hair can become dehydrated.

Incorporating oils into your regime is a great way to treat thirsty tresses.

Do oils moisturise hair?

Let's clear something up. Adding oils directly onto parched strands will add no moisture value whatsover. This is because oils don't contain that good ol' H20. Oils can nourish and can help retain moisture in the hair, but without any water content themselves, they can't hydrate.

The trick is to moisturise your hair first with a water-based product (often aqua is the first ingredient on the list) and then seal in that moisture with an oil such as coconut oil, olive oil or argan oil.


Adding oil to your conditioner 

I love to bump up my conditioners by mixing in my favourite oils. This helps improve the amount of slip which is perfect for gliding through transitioning or easily tangled hair, not to mention the benefits of softness and shine!

Pre-shampoo treatment

You could try slathering oil onto your hair before you wash it. This could help to protect the hair from the harsh detergents in shampoos, discouraging them from fully stripping your hair and perpetuating its dryness.  

The LCO method 

As part of the 'liquid, cream, oil' (LCO) method, the hair is first treated with a water-based moisturiser. This could be a leave-in spritz, S-Curl or simply a water spray. The next step is to add a heavier cream product such as a butter or curling creme. Finally, the moisture is 'sealed' into the hair strand with an oil. As oil and water don't mix, the theory behind this method is that the oil will create a protective barrier around the strand, helping to protect against moisture loss and keeping the hair hydrated for longer.


How do you use oils in your regime?

What's your fave?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

0 comments