Easy Protective Style: Faux Bun with Marley Hair

Bonjour guys! I've come to share my new protective style with you.  It dawned on me that if I'm serious about growing my hair...


Bonjour guys!

I've come to share my new protective style with you.  It dawned on me that if I'm serious about growing my hair again and keeping it healthy, I'm going to need to forget about my flat iron for a while. We all know that excessive heat destroys hair, so in my bid to retain my length and my moisture I've once again turned to bunning. This time, however, I've bumped up my itty bitty bun with some extra help with some Marly braiding hair.

This heat-free hair style has many benefits and is a great way to keep hair moisturised all day because it tucks your fragile ends away from the elements. With the added hair wrapped around my natural bun, my own ends are shielded and hopefully hang in there long enough for me to notice some serious length retention.

I must admit I was feeling a little insecure about wearing this style, firstly because I haven't used any kind of added hair since I was in school, and second because my face feels exposed without hair hanging down!

Today is day five of wearing the style and I've quickly become very comfortable with it. It's pretty liberating not having to worry about the wind blowing it out of place or about the damage I'm doing with heat tools.

To create the style, I simply washed my hair, deep conditioned and blowdried on the cool setting to stretch my hair. Next, I added some S-Curl (for moisture) and Eco-Styler Gel (for hold) before smoothing my hair back into a bun with a natural boar bristle brush. After styling my baby hairs a little, I 'set' my style by wrapping it with a headscarf for a minute or two, and then wrapped the Marley hair around my own bun to give it some oomph!

I use a couple of bobby pins to tuck away any stray hairs and to make sure the bun is secure and doesn't come loose in the wind.

Quick, simple and chic, me thinks! I plan to wear this style for a good few months, deep conditioning every week and taking the bun down each night to avoid breakage. I shall check in with progress updates in due time to report on how things are going.

What's your favourite protective style?
Have you noticed any benefit from bunning? 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

0 comments