Fully Natural By Jan 2015?!

So I'm 4 months and one week post-relaxer and my hair's really starting to break at the demarcation line * New growth. Shaking my...

So I'm 4 months and one week post-relaxer and my hair's really starting to break at the demarcation line*

New growth. Shaking my head at how thin my relaxed hair looks 

The relaxed hair in my crown has broken off so bad, leaving just the two inches of natural hair. I've been experimenting with braid-outs and twist-outs but they look pathetic because my ends are so thin and straight. It's been recommended that I use curling rods at the ends of my twists to combat this problem. I will be trying this.

Anyway, let's get to the point:

Until I can find a heatless style that I'm happy with, I plan to transition by wearing my hair straight (yes, yes c'est très mal). In the last four months, I've grown about 2 inches of new growth, thus we can assume that once I hit my 1 year mark, I'd have obtained the average 6 inches of hair growth per year.

In the past few weeks I've become more and more excited to be reacquainted with my natural hair, and I'm actually looking forward to wearing twist-outs on my natural hair (as it won't look so pathetic). Originally, I wanted to do the 'big chop' for my 23rd birthday (27 May), but reality tells me that by then (my 16th month), most of my relaxed hair would've broken off anyway. I now have this growing idea that I should maintain my bob hairstyle and cut off the relaxed ends every couple of months to speed up the transition.

The longest layer of my hair is 6 inches with 4 of those inches being relaxed. That means another eight months of gradual cutting until my bob is fully natural. Maybe I'm over excited and wishful thinking but at least I'm putting the thought out there...

My new aim is to be fully natural by Jan 2015


*Breakage? See 8 Reasons Why You Have Crown & Nape Breakage & Their Solutions!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm really enjoying reading about this. My Mum is doing her best to stay natural and keep chemicals out of her hair, because it's so fine and can break easily. But because I've had dreads as long as I can remember, I really have no clue when it comes to afro hair O_O Great post!

    ReplyDelete