Quenching my thirsty hair

For the last few months I've been happily rocking my pincurl-outs - that's putting my hair in pin curls at night and removing the...


For the last few months I've been happily rocking my pincurl-outs - that's putting my hair in pin curls at night and removing them in the morning to achieve curly or wavy hair.

Having finally worked out how to get the best results, the heatless style has allowed me to stay away from the straighteners and retain more moisture.

But all of a sudden my hair seems to be rejecting all my moisturising efforts. My hair feels good straight after applying a product, but by the next morning, it's so dry I could probably light a match on it (not recommended). Even after deep conditioning, my strands are still screaming out for moisture.

So why is my hair behaving so badly? Why does the moisture seem to evaporate from my strands? I have two theories:

Theory one: my hair is porous

It's been said so many times, but the excess use of heat tools can dry out the hair, damaging the cuticle and causing the strands to become porous. Porous hair means moisture can easily be injected into the strand (hence why my hair feels great straight after applying product), but this moisture escapes the strand just as quickly. I believe that my hair is simply showing the ill effects of my previous heat obsession. The damage caused by my straighteners has resulted in holes along the hair shaft - preventing the hair from holding onto moisture and resulting in dry locks.

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a great way to bring the hair down to normal porosity levels. Because of its slightly acidic pH level, ACV can help close cuticles, which reduces porosity and encourages a healthy shine. I'm going to dilute a small amount of AVC in a big jug of cool water. Once I've finished rinsing out my deep conditioner, I'll pour the solution over my entire head, wring, and towel dry.

Note: If you decide to try this too, be prepared to smell like a fish and chip shop. But also be assured that the smell does not linger once your hair is dry!

Theory two: my hair needs clarifying 

Layering on the products every night will eventually result in product buildup, meaning anything you put on the hair will sit on top and not be absorbed. While I wash my hair weekly, I use a sulfate-free shampoo which isn't enough to thoroughly cleanse the hair. It's recommended that once in a while, the hair should get a deep cleanse with a clarifying shampoo. Essentially, this type of shampoo removes all oils, product and dirt from deep within the strand. It will leave the hair squeaky clean and ready to accept the conditioning effects of products.

My action plan overview:

  • Pre-shampoo with Philip Kingsley's Elasticizer to protect the hair prior to washing (and as a last attempt to inject some moisture)
  • Shampoo with a clarfiying shampoo
  • Deep condition with my Look Great Heat Wrap 
  • Rinse out, and finish with an ACV rinse
  • Apply leave-in and air dry 

Will I correct my hair's moisture balance? Be sure to stay tuned for my results!

In the mean time, what do you do when your hair is chronically dry? I'd love to hear your advice.

You Might Also Like

0 comments