Transitioning - the right way this time!

Heat-abused keratin treated hair vs heathy keratin treated hair The very point of this blog was to document my transition from relaxed...

Heat-abused keratin treated hair vs heathy keratin treated hair

The very point of this blog was to document my transition from relaxed to natural hair - and that's exactly what I did. But I transitioned by relying heavily on heat, wearing my hair straight daily, so that unless you were told, you would never have known I was transitioning! Nevertheless, I cut my last relaxed ends off in January 2015 after a year of transitioning with no ill effects from my heat-happy ways.

I 'enjoyed' my natural hair for all of one month (!) before I got my first keratin treatment, which allowed me to keep my flat ironed hair straight until wash day. But even in that month of being natural, I straightened my hair frequently so I never had the chance to get to know my natural texture. I always thought 'I'll go heatless when my hair is longer' or 'I'll stop using heat when I master the heatless styles'. But how was I supposed to master my natural texture when I was always straightening it?

It's been about five months since I actively started reducing my heat usage. But I was too late. By that time (August 2015), the heat had permanently straightened my natural hair.

Essentially, I am transitioning all over again. As I mentioned in a recent post, I am still considering getting keratin treatments but will reduce them to twice a year. They help with strength and manageability, and when looked after, the hair will retain its natural texture. In fact, my coily roots are keratin treated; they simply have not been exposed to the heat abuse! 

It sounds funny, but I wasn't mentally ready for my transition the first time round. I lacked the confidence to embrace it and the skills to style it. But now I really do feel ready to go natural - the right way this time!

My entire head is keratin treated - the new growth just reflects my healthy heat practices.
Are you transitioning?
Have you ever had to re-attempt your journey?


Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Sorry to ask a naive/ignorant question, but if you reduce your heat usage this time round when you transition, how will you keep your hair manageable? Just wondering. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashana, it's not an ignorant question! I've been wearing buns non stop recently so that's really helped keep the hair heacahes at bay. In fact, I think the classic bun will become my signature style while I'm transitioning. I also want to do braid-outs and twist-outs, which is basically braiding or twisting the hair overnight and taking it out in the morning. My moisturiser really helps with detangling and softening the hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently transiting and even though I face styling challenges, I do not have any issue with my natural hair. I make sure that I DC and use a great detangler and moisturizer so the new growth behaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A good DC and moisturiser are the keys in my opinion. I actually think the initial 3 months is the hardest, then as more NG comes in, it gets easier... at least it was for me.

      Delete
  4. Heat was the hardest thing for me to kick so I totally understand where you're coming from chica! You can totally do this!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey KLP, it's taken me years to ditch the heat... but I'm so glad I did! Thanks for commenting and for your support :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Aicha! While I am not natural, I did stretch my relaxer for a year, so I got to know my natural texture. I know it can be hard to give up heat, but it will do wonders for your hair not to use it a lot. I rarley use heat and it has help me on my hair journey. Best of Luck to you!

    Keoshia @ http://www.mrsdoingme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keoshia. I am still going strong with my no heat :D Loving the benefits already. Stretching your relaxer for a year must have given you great results! Had you gained a lot of length when you finally relaxed?

      Delete
  6. I think I have been going strong for three years without heat now. I know you can do it.
    www.chicfromhair2toe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THREE YEARS! I can only hope to go that long. It's weird though - I cringe at the thought of straightening my hair now. Thanks for your encouragement, Nerline :)

      Delete