Homemade delicious deep conditioner

Happy 2016 to you all! It's full steam ahead and I'm so determined to achieve my longest, healthiest head of hair within the ...



Happy 2016 to you all! It's full steam ahead and I'm so determined to achieve my longest, healthiest head of hair within the next 12 months. It's now day three of my 60 day bunning challenge, and I've vowed to keep heat-free during this time (minus 2 heat passes - hair gotta be on fleek for Valentine's day you know!). I'm starting the year the way I intend to go on: healthy hair practices and maximum length and moisture retention!

Having straightened my hair over the Christmas and NYE period I was itching to get some moisture back into my strands, so today I invited my good friend (and hair buddy) over for a deep conditioning and steaming session.

I had run out of my beloved ORS Replenishing Conditioner but my friend had conveniently come equipped with some delicious ingredients so that we could make our own treatment!

Shoutout to my brother Malik for the photography!


Good enough to eat (and trust, we did have a taste), we whipped up the conditioner, slapped it on our heads and took turns to sit under the steamer. In this instance we both decided to deep condition on dry hair and the results were soft, moisturised hair.

You could find most of these ingredients in your kitchen and it's pretty easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 Avocado
1/2 a can of coconut milk
2.5 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of honey
2.5 tablespoons of mayonnaise

We put the leftovers in a recycled plastic container and refrigerated


What are the benefits of these ingredients?

Avocado: When used topically, avocados encourage shine and help to nourish the hair. They're great for parched strands as their high fat content help against breakage and dryness.

Coconut milk: Helps to moisturise and condition the hair. It's good to use warm as a pre-shampoo treatment.

Olive oil: One of the only oils that can penetrate the hair shaft, olive oil is great for treating dandruff, promoting shine and softening the hair. It's also a great sealant to use after moisturising.

Honey: Like glycerine, honey acts as a humectant by drawing moisture into the hair strand. It basically makes a moisturiser even more moisturising.

Mayonnaise: With ingredients like oil, vinegar and egg yolk, mayonnaise works to restore shine and vitality into lacklustre hair.

We used my Nutribullet to blend the ingredients which formed a yummy, creamy consistency. Since we doubled the ingredients we had so much leftover, so we simply sealed the rest in a Tupperware box and refrigerated for another time.

What's your homemade deep conditioner mix? 
What's your favourite kitchen ingredient?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I will definitely give this conditioning treatment a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, I would love to know how it works for you

      Delete
  2. I just did that on my wash day but without the coconut milk, instead I used coconut oil.

    Happy 2016
    https://lauralivll.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lebogang, what did you think of the mix?

      Delete
  3. I mixed Avocado, banana, honey, olive, and coconut oil. I really liked the way my hair felt and the curls popping with much bounce in my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you had a good experience. I might try banana next time too.

      Delete
  4. I'm not the biggest fan of using food items in my hair. I made a mix that had avocado, banana, fenugreek powder, aloe vera juice, and an egg. It turned out pretty well but I still have some in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Uzoma, I can understand as this is the first time I've concocted my own conditioner. Your mix sounds interesting though, I heard aloe vera juice is a really good moisturiser for hair.

    ReplyDelete