The benefits of going heat-free

Since August, I've been working on cutting out heat to keep my ends neat, moisturised and ultimately retain length. I had cut the fla...

Cutting out heat with GHD yellow straighteners

Since August, I've been working on cutting out heat to keep my ends neat, moisturised and ultimately retain length. I had cut the flat ironing down to once a week but still wasn't satisfied with the amount of heat I was using. Since 1 December I've been bunning my hair to avoid straightening, and even better, I'm now on a heatless '60 Day Bunning Challenge' (come and join me!).

I just wanted to share the benefits and improvements that I've noticed since I've stopped straightening and blow drying:
  • It's liberating! No more running for shelter when it rains or worrying about humidity in the shower. I can co-wash my hair whenever I want, air dry, moisturise then tie into a bun.
  • Increased moisture and elasticity. I must admit, a few months ago my hair would snap pretty easily when doing the strand test (pulling a shed hair at both ends to test elasticity). My hair was moisture deprived because of all the heat I was using. With the help of S-curl No Drip, my strands have regained their elasticity and my hair is retaining its moisture levels.
  • Less breakage. Because of the increased elasticity, I have less breakage. In fact, most of the hairs left in my brush are shed hairs now (shed hairs have a little white bulb at the end of them).
  • Thicker hair. Regular flat ironing can thin the hair. In the last few weeks I've started to notice that my hair has thickened considerably.
  • Better length retention? Well, with better moisture retention and protected ends, I should hope so! Although I won't be taking another length picture until my bunning challenge ends on 23 Feb - stay tuned! 
I'm really enjoying the positive results of cutting out the heat. I've realised a lot of this journey is mental; it's about being comfortable enough to stop relying on the habits I once hid behind (straightening) and being open to new styles and techniques.

Are you working on cutting out any bad hair habits?

You Might Also Like

0 comments